Vivint Authorized Retailer Greensboro
Smart Security Specialists -- Your Vivint Authorized Dealer Covering Greensboro & Surrounding Areas

Leading causes of residential fires in Greensboro and how to prevent them

September 25, 2023
Man surprised by smoke pouring out of oven

There are a plethora of hazards you have to keep in mind as a property owner. Fire is chief among them, as it can occur anywhere and at any moment. The U.S. Fire Administration estimated an incredible $8.9 billion in property damage across the United States due to residential fires in 2021. In the same year, there were in excess of 350,000 reported occurrences. Fortunately, there are steps you can take to keep them from arising|. Take a look at the causes and how to prevent house fires in Greensboro.

What causes residential fires in Greensboro?

Fires can begin in any spot and without notice, whether ignited by a burning cigarette in a garbage can or an unattended stovetop. Here are the leading causes of residential fires.

  • Cooking: Kitchen flare-ups are the most widespread sorts of residential fires in Greensboro and all other areas. Unattended stovetops are the primary cause, so always watch that hot skillet when making a meal. It’s also essential to note that throwing water on a grease fire will only worsen the situation.
  • Heating: Space heaters are well established as a cause of residential fires. Using them for too long can cause inner pieces to degrade and spark. Placing heaters next to flammable materials like bed sheets and drapes or using worn cords will also lead to disaster. Other types of heating, such as fireplaces and furnaces, could cause fires and should be examined regularly.
  • Electrical: Worn out wiring, faulty outlets, and overloaded extension cords are several of the ways electrical problems result in fires. Don’t use an appliance with a frayed cord, and make certain flammable objects like paper aren’t placed on a lampshade, get it investigated right away.
  • Candles: Wherever there's a flame, there's the possibility of fire. Residential fires from candles are still commonplace and typically result from people being careless. Placing candles in close proximity to ignitable items like curtains or keeping them within the domain of a rambunctious pet will lead to disaster.
  • Smoking: Despite the overall reduction in smoking nationwide, it’s still an undeniable fire hazard. The U.S. Fire Administration approximated that 7,800 residential fires were caused by smoking in 2021. Falling asleep with a cigarette still burning or prematurely throwing out smoldering ashes can bring about catastrophic results.

The most effective way to prevent house fires in Greensboro is to steer clear of negligent behavior. Always keep an eye on things when cooking, don’t ever leave a candle unattended, and properly dispose of cigarettes. If you have to use a space heater, do so infrequently and invest in one that includes an automatic shut-off feature in case it overturns.

Protect your family with a monitored fire alarm in Greensboro

You should have smoke detectors on all floors and consider using more near sleeping areas. But you can take your protection to another level with a monitored fire alarm. These innovative safety devices will not only recognize smoke but can also be triggered due to rising heat. In addition, since they are part of your modern smart home, they’ll notify you and your monitoring specialists whenever an emergency takes place. This is a nice feature, particularly when you’re not around to hear the alarm and contact the fire department yourself.

Defend against various dangers with a Vivint smart home in Greensboro

Upgrade the protection of your residence today with a Vivint smart home. You may customize our systems with monitored fire alarms, water sensors, and carbon monoxide detectors. You’ll appreciate the instant notifications to your smartphone and the 24-hour support that you enjoy with professional monitoring. Contact (336) 962-5081 to speak with a skilled Vivint professional.